Staying Safe This Holiday as a Pedestrian in Maine

During this time of year, everything feels a little more chaotic and busy because of the holidays. As people rush to finish their holiday shopping and preparations for hosting or seeing friends and family, Maine roads and sidewalks are more congested than ever. With this in mind, it is crucial that drivers and pedestrians alike remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings both to maintain personal safety, but also the safety of others.

According to a recent local news report, a Maine pedestrian died after being struck by a pickup truck. Local authorities reported that the woman was pronounced dead on the scene and that the driver of the pickup truck has been identified and is cooperating with the process. Police have declined to release any additional details surrounding the crash as the accident remains under investigation.

Maine, unfortunately, is no stranger to similar pedestrian deaths and related accidents. Between 2016 and 2020, there were 1,324 total pedestrian highway crashes in Maine. More than 90 percent of these crashes resulted in injuries, with the remaining 10 percent resulting in fatalities or property damage only.

In Maine, pedestrian deaths have been increasing in recent years. In 2021, more than 16 pedestrians have died in accidents, along with 149 pedestrians and 150 bicyclist injuries. Following the death of the 16th pedestrian in 2021, many local groups and communities are urging pedestrians and drivers alike to exercise additional caution in light of a busy holiday season, a higher likelihood of poor weather conditions because of the cold, and the sun setting at an earlier time.

Because visibility may not be what it seems this time of year, drivers and pedestrians alike should take extra precautions when getting around this holiday season. For pedestrians and bicyclists, wearing visible, bright clothing, and checking both directions and checking again before crossing the street could save your life.

Local transportation safety authorities also recommend crossing the street where there is a crosswalk when possible, since pedestrians have right of way. Even when crossing the street at a designated crosswalk, however, pedestrians should check both ways before stepping onto the road. Not every driver always abides by traffic signals, and sometimes accidents take place because of a reckless driver speeding through a red light right when the crosswalk sign turns on.

In urban areas, transportation safety officials note that pedestrian crashes are more likely to occur. This may be because of a higher concentration of people and cars in a more confined space, so pedestrians and drivers alike should be hypervigilant if they are heading into busier areas of the state to do holiday shopping or attend gatherings.

Do You Need a Maine Personal Injury Attorney?

If you or someone you know was recently injured in a Maine pedestrian accident, contact the attorneys at Peter Thompson & Associates for assistance today. Our lawyers have years of experience representing clients in a variety of personal injury claims and will work to get you the compensation you deserve. To schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our team today, contact us at 1-800-804-2004.

Contact Information