Pedestrian accidents can have devastating consequences, causing severe injuries and even fatalities. Maine’s picturesque landscapes and bustling communities make it important for both pedestrians and drivers to be aware of their surroundings and prioritize safety.
According to a recent article, a 13-year-old student was struck by a tractor-trailer while crossing the road after getting off a school bus in Gray. This unfortunate accident occurred during a critical moment when the bus’s stop-arm was extended to indicate that children were entering or exiting the vehicle. The student sustained severe injuries, requiring immediate medical attention.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Understanding the common causes of pedestrian accidents is crucial in raising awareness and implementing effective safety measures. Some key factors that contribute to such accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: Drivers who are distracted by their mobile phones, navigation systems, or other activities are more likely to overlook pedestrians and fail to yield the right of way.
- Failure to Yield: Motorists who disregard traffic laws and fail to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks, intersections, and school zones pose a significant risk to those on foot.
- Speeding and Reckless Driving: Excessive speed and reckless driving make it difficult for drivers to stop in time to avoid collisions with pedestrians.
- Poor Visibility: Factors such as inadequate street lighting, inclement weather conditions, and obstructed views can reduce visibility and increase the likelihood of pedestrian accidents.
- Intoxicated Driving: Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs have impaired judgment, decreased reaction times, and compromised control over their vehicles, making them more prone to striking pedestrians.
Promoting Pedestrian Safety
Protecting pedestrians requires a collective effort from all road users. Here are some key steps to promote pedestrian safety in Maine:
- Increased Public Awareness: Education campaigns that emphasize pedestrian safety, such as the importance of using designated crosswalks, looking both ways before crossing, and making eye contact with drivers, can significantly reduce accidents.
- Improved Infrastructure: Enhancements like well-marked crosswalks, adequate lighting, and the installation of traffic calming measures can enhance pedestrian safety and encourage drivers to be more mindful of pedestrians.
- Strict Enforcement of Traffic Laws: Law enforcement agencies should prioritize enforcing traffic laws, especially those related to speeding, yielding to pedestrians, and distracted driving.
Legal Recourse for Pedestrian Accident Victims
When a pedestrian accident occurs, victims and their families may face significant physical, emotional, and financial challenges. It’s important to understand that legal options are available to seek compensation for damages. Consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney can help victims navigate the legal process and pursue a claim for:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation can cover current and future medical bills, rehabilitation costs, medication, therapy, and any necessary assistive devices.
- Lost Wages and Income: If the accident results in a temporary or permanent inability to work, victims may be eligible to seek compensation for lost wages and future earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: Pedestrian accidents often cause significant pain, emotional distress, and a diminished quality of life. Victims may be entitled to compensation for these non-economic damages.
- Wrongful Death: In the tragic event of a pedestrian fatality, surviving family members may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim to seek compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and financial support.
Have You Suffered Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident in Maine?
If you or a loved one has experienced injuries in a pedestrian accident, it is crucial to seek legal counsel to understand your rights and explore potential avenues for compensation. At Peter Thompson & Associates, our team of dedicated personal injury attorneys is committed to representing clients in Maine who have been involved in pedestrian accidents. With our extensive experience, we can guide you through the intricate process of pursuing compensation and ensure your case is presented effectively. To discuss your situation and schedule a free initial consultation, contact us today at 207-874-0909 or visit our website. Remember, you don’t have to face the aftermath of a pedestrian accident alone.